A leading manufacturer of home elevators, LU/LA elevators, wheelchair lifts (Garaventa Stair-Lift), and vertical platform lifts for both residential and commercial use (Garaventa Genesis), portable wheelchair lifts and emergency evacuation devices.
Purchased 7 years, 5 months, 17 days ago
I purchased 2 of the garaventa lifts for a historic building.
There are many issues regarding these lifts that I have come to understand through the process.
1. In our case, there is only one installer and servicer in our very large metropolitan area.
You are at the mercy of this installer to do the job right and then be fair with you after the install to service you. You have to have regular service and repair if needed for permit requirements, and these folks know you have no other choice but them. When I checked out other areas, I found this same situation to be true. The company said on their web site that they license these installers and stand behind them, but in my case and many phone calls to garaventa not returned until I screamed in emails to whoever I could around the world did I get a response.
2. To this day I do not know who was at fault for the improper install. One of the lifts screeched from top to bottom of the run and bounced on the track, I made a video of this and sent it to the district manager at the factory, after sending this to him after he requested it, I called for months with no return phone call from him, I enailed him with no response and as said above, never got a response until I emailed their parent company and anyone else I could find.
3. The installer billed me for time spent trying to fix the problems with the product due to the manufacturer or them, I do not know as stated, but I am still being billed by them after the initial install for issues pertaining to their install or the product, or a combination of the both.
4. The lift broke in testing it over 5 times between install and state approval. Platform for wheel chair comes down but won't go back up, safety arm broke, when platform went up into closed position, would not completely close, and that issue is there today, but since I am in dispute of the installer charging me for hours I do not owe regarding their faulty install or the product, they will not fix it, I am held hostage. Be sure to understand that I have contacted the Garavanta company by email to the company president and they will not respond.
They did send a company person to the location once after all the emails sent after trying to get a response from them for many months and met with the installer, neither the installer or the company will give me a report as to what was done at that time.
5. The last time I was at the building and the installer/servicing person that works for the installer was there, I asked him a number of questions regarding the product etc.
I said that the product seems cheaply made and obviously breaks down easily with nearly no use. He said, "we have nothing but problems with this model you have, we have to regularly fix these all the time".
All I could say to that was, "that's just Great!".
He described to me one unit he said for example, that they go to every month...
I said that I found it amazing that they are so expensive and could be made so "flimsy" in my opinion. I said that the drop down seat on both lifts will not even stay in the up position when secured..., he said none of them do...
6. I have now tried calling the company and included the company president in my email correspondence to the installers demands with a lengthy response from me, with no response from him. There are no other people in the area to service these things and I am held hostage. One of the lifts still bounces or catches on the track and is currently not squealing when we test it. I finally got somewhat of an answer from the installers employee, and he said it was installed out of plumb..., they shimmed it enough to get squeal out, but not to stop catching.
There are many other issues I could explain regarding these stair lifts, but I think you all get the picture. If you need one of these lifts, in my opinion, is try to find a different product and see if you have more than one servicer in your area. These servicers charge over $300 an hour, so you want to make sure you do your homework because it isn't like getting a car fixed!!
UPDATE, it is now broken and can't be used and we are held hostage getting it fixed. We have to carry people up and down the steps after spending a boatload of money,!!
A Deeply Disappointed Church Member
Purchased 2 years, 5 months, 17 days ago
I wish I had read "Hostage" before agreeing to give this firm a 2nd chance to improve their product and more importantly the service. My church purchased a new replacement lift that was "guaranteed" to correct the lift we already had that was also installed and "serviced" by them. The new one was installed this summer, available for use in September 2017. It has stopped working at least 3 times. Promises to come out and make adjustments were not kept and yesterday, October 22, 2017 not only did it not work but because there was a special event for breast cancer survivors happening we ended up leave several seniors stuck in the rain on the sidewalk.
We will never use them or recommend them for use to anyone for any reason. If we could sue to have the money we raised for this much needed lift returned and replaced by someone else with proven reliability, we would in a heartbeat but alas, we are also a HOSTAGE.
Purchased 3 years, 2 months, 17 days ago
I purchased the enclosed vertical lift for my business, and it breaks down regularly. Similar to Hostage, there is only one service person for Raleigh NC and he is 2 hours away and charges a fortune for travel and repair service. Even though the lift is only 2 years old, I am replacing it because replacement is cheaper than continuing to deal with the service provider.
Purchased 3 years, 17 days ago
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
We called the company to install 2 elevator for 2 houses in the same year.One never run from the beginning, called them several times, they never come back after took all payments.Then finally they came, charged for the visit , and give the quote for to make its run with the price almost half of the cost of the whole elevator, they said because it's passed one year warranty.We then called another reliable company, fix the problem with reasonable price. I wish I did the research before I used them.
Purchased 1 years, 17 days ago
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. We called the company to install 2 elevator for 2 houses in the same year.One never run from the beginning, called them several times, they never come back after took all payments.Then finally they came, charged for the visit , and give the quote for to make its run with the price almost half of the cost of the whole elevator, they said because it's passed one year warranty.We then called another reliable company, fix the problem with reasonable price. I wish I did the research before I used them.
Response to owner's reply on Dec 21, 2018:
That’s not true.
The elevator not fully installed and operating but Garaventa Lift Ontario requested the money, and we agreed because they said that is the procedure. Since they took the money we have requested them numerous times to come back to finish the job but they keep on delaying and don’t return many of our calls.
We’re waiting for the Committee of Adjustment and the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) for approval, because of this procedure the house was stopped for almost a year. During this time the elevator was not complete and did not run, and nobody uses it because of this reason.
Once OMB approved our changes we continue and called Garaventa Lift Ontario to complete the job. But they said the elevator is out of warranty and we needed to renew. Their reason, the elevator was turn to us over a year, so the warranty have expired (that time the house still under construction, nobody used it).
We argued that it was never run, but had no choice than to pay. They charged additional fee for their visit, then give us the quote for almost half of the whole elevator to make it run. They blamed on the basement floor was not finished, but it has nothing to do with the elevator. The ESA did the final inspection for the house and found the company never got a permit for the elevator. When ESA called the Garaventa Lift Ontario, they denied it, said they had nothing to do with the job. This is their job and they failed to apply for the permit.
In the end we had to call another company to complete the unfinished job by Garaventa Lift Ontario and make it run. The other company was much cheaper and easier to deal with than Garaventa Lift Ontario.
Please stay away from this company. We wish others have warned us about Garaventa Lift Ontario before we used them.
Setting your location allows BLVD.com to display local results for wheelchair vans, mobility products, dealers, stores and much more. The default location you are seeing may have been pulled via your IP Address which typically is only accurate within about 30 miles.